- Be ready to accept that nothing will ever be as awesome as the things you experience while traveling. The older you get and the more you do, the harder it will be to top your previous experiences.
- Traveling changes you a lot. The longer you travel the more you change. You grow as a person at a faster pace, because life gets so intense out there. As well the good and the bad experiences will mark you for life. The people you left behind stay exactly the same. There is a big chance you will grow apart and things will never be the same.
- Get used to having to say.”I guess you sort of had to be there to understand”ALOT. While trying to find the words to describe the intensity of your travel experiences to someone from back home. They will never get it! I guess well they had to be there 😉
- It will be more difficult for you to find people that you take interest in. You might catch yourself nodding off dreaming of exotic places every time people around you make small talk. Or well to you it sounds like smalltalk, but to them the fact that their favourite Tv show is playing an hour later probably is a life threatening situation. You will try over and over again to fit in. When that doesn’t work you will try anything to meet kindred spirits back home. But the truth it while not traveling you will probably feel alone a lot of the time.
- Because of all the above. Home might never be or feel like home again.
- Once you have left once. It will be difficult to grow root anywhere. Your wanderlust will always take controle and your feet will never stop itching ready for a new adventure.
- You will always miss someone somewhere as your close friends will be spread around the world and you are lucky if one of them lives in the same country as you do.
- If you wear flip flops for a significant amount of time it will be hard to fit into shoes again. If you don’t wear shoes for several years your feet might actually get wider and it might even be physical impossible to get into those shiny tiny shoes. Shoes are not friends!
- If your native language is not English then there is a good chance that if you stay away long enough you might need to take a language course if you would ever return. (actually happened to me)
If you are ok with all of the above.. Then be ready to HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE!!! 🙂
Please let me know how this applies to you or continue with your own points below.